This error is not limited to MS Word file only; instead, it can be found in MS Excel 2010 and MS PowerPoint 2010 after upgrading from their 2007 versions. MS Word automatically detects issues if any of its documents exhibit unusual behaviour in their functionality.
Mentioned below are some of the common methods to resolve this problem:
- Open Word and click on the File tab
- Click on Open folder to select the damaged file
- Highlight the file and then click on the arrow sign available next to Open button
- Select Open and Repair from the drop-down list of options
Change Document Format & Save to Word Later:
- Start the application and click on the File menu on the ribbon.
- Next, click on Open then select the damaged Word file and then click on Open
- Save the document in another file format. To do so:
- Click on the File menu and then click on Save As option
- In Word, select Other Formats
- Then click on the Rich Text Format (*rtf) in the Save as File type list
- Next, click on Save button
- Next, click on File menu and then click on Close
- Next, save the document back to the Word file as earlier. To do so:
- Click on the File menu and then click on Open
- Next, highlight the document saved as Rich Text File and then click on Open
- Click on the File menu in the ribbon and then click on Save As option
- Under Save as type, click on Word Document
- Rename the file and then click on Save
Note: Changing the file format of the corrupt MS Word document is a straightforward procedure to gain accessibility.
Change the 'Trust Center' Settings: Sometimes, the enabled protected view settings under 'Trust Center' prevent the Word file from opening. Mentioned below are the steps to change the settings of 'Trust Center':
- Open your MS Word application.
- Click 'File >> Options'.
- Select the 'Trust Center' and press button under 'Trust Center Settings'.
- Click 'Protected View'.
- Uncheck all the options available under 'Protected View' and click 'OK' to confirm.
- Restart MS Word and now, try to open your corrupt Word document.
Manual Setting of 'Component Security': To change these settings to default settings, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to 'Start' and in the search box, type 'dcomcnfg'. After that, select 'dcomcnfg' from the program list.
- Go to the navigation pane and expand the 'Component Services'. Then, go to 'Computers' and expand it. After that, right-click on 'My Computer', and then click 'Properties'.
- Open the 'Default Properties' tab and set Default Authentication Level: Connect, Default Impersonation Level: Identify and click 'OK'.
If nothing works for you then try our Stellar Phoenix Word repair software. It repairs corrupt Word file and restores all the data stored in it without altering its original formatting.