Start a new topic
Solved

Updates for Powerdesk 9

I really like Powerdesk 9 but since WIn 10, Powerdesk needs an update. Specifically, it doesn't recognize my smartphone or tablet when I plug it in and I have to use Win explorer. It's really annoying because Win explorer isn't as easy to use and I find it clumsy.

I do hope you'll eventually work on Powerdesk 10 and addresses these issues

Hello Xavier,
thank you for posting your comment on Avanquest forum webpage.

Since since Windows 8 and now in Windows 10, mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets are recognised as media devices for quicker and more convenient and secure way of attaching to the system also unplugging the cable without risk of interrupting important connection between the device and the computer. PowerDesk doesn't recognise devices that aren't assigned with specific letter to the operating system. Change the USB connection settings of the mobile device either to Memory card or CD ROM so to be assigned with letter and be revealed in PowerDesk file explorer.

Kind regards,
Avanquest Support

Alex G Thanks for your response. My smartphone uses the MTP option. So it's already configured as a media device. So why then isn't my smartphone showing up in Power desk and what tips could you suggest? Thanks again xavier

Hello again Xavier,

using your smartphone as media device (Media Transfer Protocol) will not help PowerDesk to see it. Instead try using it as CD-ROM or Memory Card.

Kind regards,
Avanquest Support

Alex G Thanks for your response. Unfortunately my smartphone has no such configuration. I looked through the user manual and MTP is the preferred means to connect. If Win Explorer can see it without any additional configuration Power desk should so the same Thanks again xavier

Hello Xavier,

PowerDesk file explorer work in similar way as Windows file explorer but it isn't the same application and requires peripheral devices to be assigned to system letter in order to address them.

Using the removable device with MTP you can still send files to this device through PowerDesk file explorer by clicking with the right-hand-side mouse button on the file and select option Send to ... then select your smartphone as destination target.

I really hope the next version of PowerDesk will implement improved file explorer tool that works in the same manner as Windows file explorer.

Kind regards,
Avanquest Support

Alex G Thanks for your message. I check out the right click optio I understan that winexplorer wnd powerdesk aren't exactly the same. I've always preferred powerdesk but it's just that the smartphones cause a minor problem Thanks again xavier

Hello Xavier,

best practise in this particular case would be to explore the content of the smartphone with Windows file explorer, by clicking on the media device listed in PowerDesk file explorer and select option Open. This action will call Windows file explorer, so can manage the files in the device.

All the best,
Avanquest Support

Login or Signup to post a comment